If you are facing problems with the display of german umlauts or broken display of the Euro sign you may want to test the following settings:
In the Server document > Internet Protocols > Domino Web Engine > Character set section, if 'Use UTF-8 for output' is set to "Yes", it should allow all browsers to view international extended characters (umlauts, accents, etc.) and the Euro symbol correctly EXCEPT for IE.
It has been reported that when IE is configured to 'Auto-select' the encoding, it somehow loses the detected character set and uses its default, which leads to the 'corrupted' international extended characters in DWA.
To resolve it for all the browsers, including IE, please configure the Server document > Internet Protocols > Domino Web Engine > Character set section as follows:
1) 'Use UTF-8 for output' = "No"
2) 'Default character set group' = "Western"
3) 'Western' = "Windows-1252"
4) 'Use auto-detection if database has no language information' = "Yes"
5) 'Character set in header' = "Enabled"
6) 'Meta character set' = "Enabled"